Monday, July 8, 2013

Homegrown Memories

It has been a while since my last post, but I will be sharing a lot in the next week. 

This past weekend took my husband and I on a one day trip to eastern Colorado -- the land where I grew up.  It was a bittersweet day as we celebrated the life of a dear lady I have known all my life.  Esther was a relative, but I will remember her best as the mom of two gals I shared my passion of music.  We played our string instruments and sang a variety of songs in church with our Grandmothers looking on.  As we sang "Mansion Our the Hilltop" and "My God and I" at the service this past Saturday, I felt my Grandma so close to me.  They were songs she taught me and we girls then shared these songs with our church family so many years ago.  As for the picture -- we were heading east early this past Saturday and I felt like our ancestors where peaking thru the clouds looking on us as we faced the day ahead of us.

While it is difficult to loose a special person in our lives it brings family members together again.  I felt so blessed to reunite with so many relatives, some I haven't seen in years. The service was at the church where I was baptized and confirmed. I spoke with many people that I haven't seen in years. 


While we were in the farm area we got to meet our new great nephew, Mason.  He was born July 1st and he and mom are doing well.  We also got to see our great niece who didn't seem to mind this new little guy was around.   Maybe she hasn't figured out he is staying!!! LOL

Anyway on the way home we saw many fields of wheat waiting for the harvest.  I did not see my brother and nephews as they were busy cutting the first of their wheat crop.  Looking at the wheat and just celebrating 4th of July it reminded me of the phrase -- "Amber waves of grain!" 
Have a good day and I'll be sharing more in a couple of days. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment